Technology can get a bad wrap when it comes to loneliness and social isolation. Research suggests people who spend more time on social media tend to have lower levels of well-being and higher levels of loneliness. With that said, technology can also be seen as a means of combating loneliness and connecting with others. In fact, technology has made it easier than ever to find and connect with others who share your interests and hobbies. Whether you’re looking for a local group to join in person or an online community, there are many resources available to help you find groups and activities that fit your needs.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the ways you can use technology to find groups to be part of and connect with others. From social media and online directories, and forums, we’ll cover a range of options for finding other like-minded people and the potential of building meaningful connections.
- Meetup.com: This website allows you to search for and join groups centered around a variety of interests and activities.
- Facebook. The site (social media space) can be used to to find groups, events and activities in your area.
- Eventbrite: This website allows you to search for and register for events and activities in your area.
- Reddit: Many cities have a section (“subreddit”) and possibly a social section where you can find group or ask about groups you might want to be part of.
- Craigslist: While this site is not specifically designed for finding groups, Craigslist also has listings for local events and activities.
- Your local library: Many libraries offer a variety of free events and activities, such as book clubs and movie screenings, that you can participate in.
- Education centers: These spaces (/places) often offer a wide range of classes and activities that you can participate in.
- Online forums: There are many online forums centered around specific hobbies and interests that you can join and participate in.
There are also a number of alternatives to Meetup.com and Eventbrite. For example, you can do a google search for
alternatives to Meetup.com to find groups
Tip: When performing a google search or using technology to find groups, be mindful of the potential issues and challenges that can arise when using technology to find groups to be part of, and to take steps to address them. Make sure the information you are looking at not out date, and taking steps to protect your own privacy.
Using technology including social media and online directories, it is possible to discover a wide range of opportunities to connect with others and build meaningful relationships. Remember, it’s important to find the right balance between online and in-person connections, and to be mindful of your own well-being as you navigate the digital world.